[OM] who's being rude? [longish]

Subject: [OM] who's being rude? [longish]
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 03:57:34 -0700
"I think your attack on Khen is uncalled for. He is
simply asking us to be a little patient with Olympus.
Humbling does not mean we have to bow to anyone...
I take the meaning as stepping back and taking another
look at the Olympus organization. The philosophy of
the company. Sometimes companies that don't "compete"
head on are actually better. In my book at least they
deserve more recognition... they aren't putting crap
out just to get it out in the market. Olympus maybe
taking it's sweet time for a reason. Now we can just
hope that they do something that we all like.

Other folks have it said perhaps more eloquently than
I can. Do we have DSLR's from Olympus that do what we
want right now? Are they capturing the image? You have
spent 20 some odd years sticking with your OM's... but
when the company maybe falters a little... you are
ready to give up on it. When your home football team
has a losing season... do you give up on it? I don't
(and my home football team is 0-3 right now)!

Khen is giving you a different take on Olympus and I
think we all should appreciate that at least."

Closer to 30 years, actually.

One of the legitimate criticisms leveled against the US is our arrogant
disregard for other peoples' world view -- their societies, their relationships
with each other, their religions and philosophies, and so forth. We're the
best, so anyone and everything else must be inferior and not worthy of
consideration or respect. Khen Lin is doing much the same.

It's not just what Khen Lin is saying -- it's his tone. There is no modesty.
Instead of simply informing us what is (or what he thinks) is going on at
Olympus, we're told we don't know what we're talking about, we're supposed to
shut up and be patient, etc, etc, etc. This might not be what Mr. Lin thinks he
saying, but it's the way he comes across. Consider the following...

"That's where so many people are so so very wrong. One of the biggest
problems is that too many people are writing Olympus off without proof. Some
of the most rewarding successes in the history of mankind are those where
people are proven wrong because their mindsets were overcome by sheer
brilliance or just the way of thinking that others dismiss. Olympus is in
DSLR business not because they're there to make YOU happy. It is their
tradition and it is part of a larger overall big picture. DSLRs are actually
ACCESSORIES required by the Olympus Group and these accessories
are critical to their overall business plans which transcends the Imaging Corp.
They have already decided to MOVE OUT of the digital compact camera market.
And this is PRECISELY what I mean.....the news have been out TWO YEARS
AGO that they made that decision and I'm absolutely dumbfounded that while
so many slag [sic] them off, no one reads the news."

With an attitude like that, why should anyone pay attention to anything Khen
Lin has to say? And you accuse _me_ of being rude?

By the way, Mr. Lin, companies are, indeed, in business to make their customers
happy. That's how they make money.

"I'm not going to continue posting. Just not possible to get anyone to chill
out and stop heckling the company. There's just no point. You want your
points to be THE standing issues. Everyone's armed with machetes. I can't
get my points out. No one listens. No one asks themselves if they might be a
tad too strong in their criticisms. Everyone's an expert. Everyone knows
better than Olympus.

I've made myself a promise. I'm surrendering. But I'll do you a favour. I
will forward your mail out to Shinju-ku. Let them know who you are and what
you've said. That's the best I can do. And I'm sure you should be happy with
this. At least they know who you are and how acerbic your comments are.

I'm only here to try my best to help you guys to see as best as possible.
But that hasn't worked. Please do not respond to this. I'm not going to
answer anymore. Talk about something else. Maybe venting your spleen at GM
and Ford might be the next best idea."

When you no longer expect us to grovel at the altar of Olympus, you are more
than welcome to return, as all of use would love to hear what's going on at
Olympus -- without the arrogant "attitude".