[OM] Probably no E-3 for me

Subject: [OM] Probably no E-3 for me
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:42:05 +0000
I've mostly gotten over my Olympus snit. Several here have reminded me that the
E-1 with its 5MP is all I need 90 percent of the time. And then I've also got
the 8MP E-330 with all its neat features. So, the E-3, if and when it ever
materializes, is going to have to have some really cool new stuff, and probably
more than 10MP, to get me reaching for the Visa card. I mean, how much more
better is 10MP than 8, particularly if it costs as much as I expect it will?
Noise could be a factor, though. Moose's constant and insistent advocacy of the
advantages of low noise at higher ISO settings has finally sunk into my
ossifying brain.

Anyway, as I have said I intended to do, I'm going to start shooting more with
my old MF gear, partly because I've forgotten how much I enjoy it, and partly
because I rediscovered that fridge full of film. It's probably going to cost a
small fortune to process the many rolls of 120/220 Provia 100, 400, Velvia 50,
even a half dozen rolls of long-forgotten and far out of date (02/2002), but
always refrigerated, Agfacolor Ultra 50. But, considering my age, habits, and
disposition, this may be the last time I'm able to do this sort of thing.

So, with the leaves just starting to turn at the higher elevations of the
Smokies, I'm going to play real he-man, outdoor photographer for a couple of
days each week until the trees are bare. Yes, I'll take a bit of OM stuff and
all the diggie stuff, too, but, depending on the weather and/or the
destination, here's basically what's going to be loaded into either the SSR or
the OM-4Runner. (The number in brackets after each lens description is the 35mm
equivalent field of view for that lens on that format. Not everybody speaks
multi-format.)

6x9 Crown Graphic:
Schneider-Kreuznach Super Angulon 47mm f/5.6 [21]
Schneider-Kreuznach Super Angulon 65mm f/5.6 [28]
Rodenstock-Heiligon  80mm f/2.8 [35]
Carl Zeiss 100mm f/2.8 Planar [44]
Schneider-Kreuznach 100mm f/5.6 APO Symmar [44]
Schneider-Kreuznach APO Symmar 120mm f/5.6 [53]
Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar-S 150mm f/5.6 [66]

Mamiya RB-67:
Mamiya-Sekor 50mm f/4.5 C [25]
Mamiya-Sekor 90mm f/3.8 C [45]
Mamiya-Sekor 127mm f/3.8 C [64]
Mamiya-Sekor Macro 140mm f/4.5 C [70]
Mamiya-Sekor 180mm f/4.5 C [90]

Despite being in the midst of all this fall color, thanks to GeeBee's recent
stuff, I'll be shooting some B&W too, mostly sheet film. Yes, I even have a
half dozen sheet film holders for the Mamiya. Bet most of you didn't even know
there were such things. And since the Mamiya and Graphic backs are
interchangeable, it's almost as easy as digital being able to switch speeds.
The 6x7 Mamiya backs are perfect for the Graphic, and even a 6x9 Graphic back
fits the 6x7 Mamiya, but will get you only about a 6x8 negative or tranny.

Walt, shooting first, asking questions later

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --