[OM] Re: dust on lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: dust on lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:55:42 -0700
Tim Randles wrote:
> I'm pooched...I have dust inside my lenses and on my viewfinder, I have tried
> everything.. any suggestions..can I fix this myself or do I have to take it
> in to get cleaned? How do I prevent this from happening again.. I use this
> thing in the field all day long..

First, dust on the mirror has absolutely zero effect on images. The
mirror is up out of the light path when the picture is taken. If you can
see any effect from it  in the viewfinder, which I doubt, you can clean
it off, but probably it doesn't matter at all.

Second, dust in lenses is essentially unavoidable except by not using
the lens. The good news is that it takes a LOT of dust to have any
effect on the images. IF, like many new to this stuff, you have peered
through your lens at a bright light and seen a few bits of dist here and
there, the solution is simple, stop peering through the lens except
through the viewfinder of the camera.

Don't worry, take pictures.

Moose