[OM] Re: Some pictures...

Subject: [OM] Re: Some pictures...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 03:29:07 -0700
Stuart Robinson wrote:
> Thanks Marc,
>
> You're right, I adjusted the saturation of the sky independent of the
> land. I've been struggling to bring out the detail in the sky when
> tweaking pictures as a whole, someone on the list was talking (to
> someone else) about doing them individually, I just need to be a bit
> more careful & keep practicing.

I like the composition a lot.

I don't know what the original looks like, but the posted image sky
looks unnatural because so much of the cloud detail is lost to blown
highlights. Large areas are pure white, with no detail. With Contrast
set to Hard and shooting JPEG, the detail may just be gone. Perhaps the
EV setting of -7/10 saved some that was lost to overenthusiastic,
unsubtle work on the sky in post.

Working to enhance sky with bright clouds takes some care. If working
with it as a separate layer, I sometimes lower the brightness a lot,
work with the tonal graduation, then bring the brightest parts up to
white at the end. Or sometimes Shadow/Highlight can bring down and
spread out the sky/clouds so they can be touched up without losing the
highlights.

Moose