[OM] Re: Multi-spot experiences? [Was: Multi spot metering]

Subject: [OM] Re: Multi-spot experiences? [Was: Multi spot metering]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 03:50:50 -0700
Christos Stavrou wrote:
> How do you people use your multi- or single-spot metering?

I'll have to admit that I don't use it all that much, only for obviously
odd lighting situations, where one can check highlights and shadows.
Shooting color neg film, the regular center weighted metering hits most
things well within the latitude of the film. Honestly, the best metering
of any OM for me is the ESP metering on the OMPC.
> Is there anyone who would like to share his/her experience, philosophy and
> technique?
>
> Personally, I'm still not sure how much area the spot-metering of my OM-4 is
> actually  measuring!..though it seems pretty small and accurate :)

Take a look at the focusing screen page of the eSIF. The 1-4n and 2-4
screens show the metering area. As you can see, it's very close to the
split image area on many of the screens
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/findergroup/focusingscreens.htm>.
> Nevertheless, I use spot-metering quite often.  For example,  I may
> spot-meter  the brightest area of the last light of an evening sky and
> expose on these values or overexpose upon those values to bring out the
> contrast between that light and the dark spreading in the rest of the scene.
> In fact, I might take several readings all around the critical area and
> sometimes I measure dark/medium/light tonalities.

Yup, that's what I do when things are tricky.

Moose