[OM] Re: OT Super volcanoes (Was Re: Is the ME-1 any good?)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Super volcanoes (Was Re: Is the ME-1 any good?)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:35:02 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:
> I saw that program, but I understood that the Yellowstone super volcano
> erupts about every 600,000 years and that it last blew its top 640,000 years
> ago. Sounds like it's a little overdue. Tick, tick, tick...

The precision of their numbers isn't very high. We could be overdue - or
not. One hopes the USGS folks who have been monitoring it since the 30s
will have a clue when things are getting serious. Given how recently
Toba in Sumatra went off, Australia might be a good place to be, West
coast, though as there's another one in NZ.

Can you imagine the resources that would be needed to defuse that thing?
Giant tunnels and explosive charges to open vents to vent the pressure
and magma?

Moose