[OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants

Subject: [OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:58:51 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Kinda sorta.  We've talked about this before, but I believe that
> the tool can enhance the work experience. This is one reason why
> some people continue to use Leicas and are going nutsoid over
> the M8.  I don't "understand" Leica--and I generally hate
> rangefinder cameras.
Omigawd! We're blood brothers after all. Forget all the nasty things
I've said. :-)
> Today's Digital-Wonderbricks have a grip shape that dictates how
> the camera is to be held. It can only be held one way.  Now,
> granted, most of the time the grips are mighty fine, but yet it
> does dictate how the camera is to be used.  A brick-shaped
> camera (like the Leica and OM and decades worth of other
> cameras) allows the camera to be held many different ways. No
> one position is overly comfortable (like a grip'd camera), but
> no position is overly painful either.
I guess I'm fortunate in being so unimaginative. I haven't found
multiple ways to hold an OM and still keep my finger on the shutter
release, so I don't know what I'm missing with a D-wunderbrick.
>> Make no mistake, I understand that it is hard to separate the
>> emotional from all of this...
>>
> Right now, my emotion says to dump the entire O-mess.

Thus supporting Jim's point about the way emotion gets in the way of
sensible business decisions. When the relationship is frustrating and
unsatisfying in some part, I get angry and just want to dump the whole
thing.
>> 10mp today what will it be in two years? I am guessing it will
>> be more.
>>
> Possible, but yet again, the "standard" of which things are
> compared to is a 50MP 35mm scan.  10MP is there with just a bare
> hint of interpolation.  Furthermore, if you look at the
> Luminous-Landscape megapixel camera shootout, the lowly 5D held
> it's own very nicely against 20+ MP medium-format cameras. It's
> no longer about the sensor, but about the lenses.

I don't believe stock requirements will just keep going up. Above a
certain point, there just aren't uses for which the extra resolution is
needed. And the storage space required just shoots up.

There was a drop in requirements for the other advantages of digital,
and now it will go back to about where it was. 4000 dpi scans of 35 mm
film are about 21 mp. And at 16 bit depth are about 120 mb. I don't
think they capture as much detail as 12 mp images from the 5D, although
part of that is the grain. The other thing I keep mentioning is that
later pixels are sharper and resolve more detail than earlier pixels.

You can make a 50mp scan of 35mm film, but do you get any more detail
than with half that? I don't think so with films people actually use for
stock work. I'd be surprised if the requirement for stock goes over 12
mp, maybe 16 in a few years.

Moose