[OM] OT-Re: Re: Walt's hitched git-along

Subject: [OM] OT-Re: Re: Walt's hitched git-along
From: "Gary Holder (c)" <gary.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 11:01:01 -0400
Walt wrote,

> Out of curiosity,  however, after Googling the Segway website and checking
>out the x2 Adventure, which I admit looks really cool, I entered my zip
>code and
>clicked on the "Find a Dealer" thing. Apparently none of these things are
>really
>flying out the doors, because the closest dealer to me is in Alpharetta,
>where,
>for those not familiar with the area, all the professional athletes, rap
>artists, dot-com
>folks who still have money, and other Range Rover driving rich folks live
>and breed.
>
> Anyway, Segway of Alpharetta says "Note: By appointment only." I guess
> that
>means I won't be allowed to go browse around, kick the tires and ask about
>financing,
>rebates, deals on demos, used models, and so forth. Hell, I'd probably have
>wear something spiffy, not my present outfit of Carhartt jeans and "I fart
>in your
>general direction" T-shirt.
>
> Walt

Being nearby also, I completely agree about Alpharetta (though, at least
when I arrived 10+ years ago, the Alpharetta rich also included "porn video
czars"; we were driven by his mansion more than once, and as I recall, it
had a lot of pink on its front for your average mansion). The "other Gary"
here (Teller) is only halfway to Alpharetta, but has a very nicely
decked-out hovel where he abodes.

However, regarding Walt's implication that he might not fit in in
Alpharetta--I'd only not that no one (not even Walt) batted an eyelash when
I accused him of being a "hoity-toity, upper-crust type", because he
"drives" his Vol Navy yacht right up to the dock at Tennesse football games
(not even mentioning his SSR pickup--darn nice of me, I thought). Note I did
finally at least learn how to SPELL "yacht" since then.

As for one possible outcome for Segways, try Googling "Sinclair C5":
http://www.sinclairc5.com/ , and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_C5 .

Also, the Mercedes "Smart Car" is finally coming to the US in 2007:
http://www.smart.com/

Gary Holder