[OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants

Subject: [OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:31:09 -0700 (PDT)
Walt wrote
> Although I have read any number or pontifications attempting
> to explain why vinyl still sounds better than digital, this is
> quite likely the clearest and most concise I have found.

Thanks. This explanation was developed by Rupert Neve, Michael
Gerzon and a handful of engineers that developed some of the
methods of A-D and D-A conversion.  Including Dithering!  I had
the pleasure of working with some of these guys on various
projects and the "coffee-shop discussions" would sometimes yield
very interesting back-of-the-napkin drawings and developments.
I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr Neve, but our company was
tight with him on some various developments. As an applications
engineer, I worked very closely with several different companies
and helped develop some very interesting technologies--some of
which are just now appearing and others still waiting for
technology to evolve some more.  Lifetime non-disclosures
agreements... :(  Why lifetime?  Well, some things take decades
to be brought to market and other things are "componant" like
and implemented in other products.  However, industrial
espionage is alive and well. Some coding, though, is kept very,
very secret.

Anyway, back to the explanation... When developing various
"sound modifiers" (you like that?), it was necessary to find out
why something behaved a certain way. If you want to create a
black box that makes a CD sound like Vinyl, you have to know
what it is that makes Vinyl sound like Vinyl.  It helped to have
access to laboratory test equipment with bandwidth exceeding
500kHz. <grin>

Unfortunately, right now, the majority of the pioneers and
Acoustical Einsteins are dead or long-since retired.  It's not a
good time right now, except for one or two companies that have
developed the "genious think" from the master.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com