[OM] Re: digital/film comparisons

Subject: [OM] Re: digital/film comparisons
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 11:55:25 -0700
I think that makes a lot of sense. However, I think that the scan of
the film is used because that is the prevailing technology and
certainly most people went to scanning and printing their own because
it was dramatically better than what they could get from the local
processor. When Galen Rowell set up his gallery in Bishop,
California, he chose scanning and digital printing in preference to
optical printing, presumably because he thought it was better. Having
visited the gallery, the prints look better to me than the optical
prints of 35mm film I have seen, but you are right that they do seem
to be divorced from film and seem to be more digital.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA