[OM] Re: OM-4 speed ring help needed

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 speed ring help needed
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:36:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, S Revlis wrote:

> Thanks for the tips guys. I did think that the detent notches looked worn.
> You've got me wondering why that would made the ring harder to move, I
> would have thought being rounded off would make it move more easily or
> perhaps even slip out of position.

As the ring detents wear the ball goes further up into the ring and you need
more force to get it to go back into its hole.

> Where is the friction comming from anyway? Is it from the small ball
> bearing that goes into the notches or from the teeth in the gears, or
> the pressure from the plate on top or where? Should I get some lube on
> the offeding bit.

The force is mostly from the spring under the ball.  It pushes the ring up
and that causes the ring to ride against the frame.  If your ring is out
of round then that could also be causing additional friction.  Try putting
the ring in without the ball and spring.  It should rotate very easily.
For grease I use a small amount of moly lube on the contact points.

>  Where can one buy a new dia?

I'm sure Olympus still has some in stock.  Last time I bought one (a few
years ago) they weren't too expensive.  You could also try picking up a
parts body off eBay, they usually sell at a reasonable price and you get
a lot of other spare parts as well :-)
                                        -mark