[OM] Re: Super Tak 50mm F1.4 vs Zuiko 50mm F1.4

Subject: [OM] Re: Super Tak 50mm F1.4 vs Zuiko 50mm F1.4
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:02:38 -0700
keith_w wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
>> The Takumar 50/1.4 Super-Multi-Coated, with the words spelled out in
>> full, is reputed to be one of the finest normal lenses ever made for
>> SLRs. The next, version, with the abbreviation "SMC", is more
>> controversial.
>>

> It's said that this version is optically identical to the S-M-C version, and
> it's supposed to be the same design.
> See van Oosten, pages 194 & 195.
> I've not run across the controversy...

My exposure in this area is pretty limited, so I bow to your superior
knowledge.

I do remember reading on a P lens site that the mechanical aspects of
the lens were simplified in later versions because production costs for
the original were getting very high. I don't remember the details, but
the gist was that less complex and robust mechanical design and possible
less precise assembly could compromise the precision of the optical
formula in element centering and location. Anyway, the folks there
believed later ones were less likely to be great than earlier ones. FWIW
> Both have the same element grouping, both have an 8-bladed aperture. I don't
> know how they might differ otherwise.
> I have an exemplary copy of each, and am apparently not sufficiently
> discerning to be able to tell.
> In fact, except for the Super Multi-Coating on the above two, both are
> supposed to be genetically identical to their predecessor, the great
> Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4.
> If anyone can tell me what to look for, I'd be happy to test them!

Sounds like a waste of time and effort to me. I do a little lens testing
from time to time, but it's pretty boring and time consuming. If I've
got a lens that's giving me great results I like, I don't see any point
in further testing. The last two tests I've done were strictly to see if
a used lens I bought was up to snuff before the return period was up.
Both were. :-)

Occasionally the urge to satisfy some curiosity about lens(es) comes up,
but usually it passes.

Moose