[OM] Re: Super Tak 50mm F1.4 vs Zuiko 50mm F1.4

Subject: [OM] Re: Super Tak 50mm F1.4 vs Zuiko 50mm F1.4
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 07:13:29 -0700
Moose wrote:
> keith_w wrote:
>> Moose wrote:
>>
>>> The Takumar 50/1.4 Super-Multi-Coated, with the words spelled out in
>>> full, is reputed to be one of the finest normal lenses ever made for
>>> SLRs. The next, version, with the abbreviation "SMC", is more
>>> controversial.

>> It's said that this version is optically identical to the S-M-C version, and
>> it's supposed to be the same design.
>> See van Oosten, pages 194 & 195.
>> I've not run across the controversy...

> My exposure in this area is pretty limited, so I bow to your superior
> knowledge.

Oh please. Don't saddle me with knowledge OR intelligence labels!  <g>
All I did was to remember who it was that said what is in my head, and where
to find the source. Merely qualities of a persistent amateur researcher who is
experiencing the inexorable slide to misplaced or mislabled pigeon holes!

> I do remember reading on a P lens site that the mechanical aspects of
> the lens were simplified in later versions because production costs for
> the original were getting very high. I don't remember the details, but
> the gist was that less complex and robust mechanical design and possible
> less precise assembly could compromise the precision of the optical
> formula in element centering and location. Anyway, the folks there
> believed later ones were less likely to be great than earlier ones. FWIW

Makes sense to me!

keith