[OM] Re: resolving power and medium format lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: resolving power and medium format lenses
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:19:03 -0700
The resolving power of a lens does not depend upon the film size ...
but what is resolved depends upon the whole chain lens-film-print.

Most older MF lenses weren't as good as 35mm lenses. Some of the newer
MF and LF lenses are probably better than most older 35mm lenses. I've
got 16x20 prints from my Mamiya 7 II that close up look as good as any
8x10 that I've got from my OMs and Zuikos.

How many pixels depends on how big you want to print and how close you
stand to it when you look at it. If your lens isn't good enough to
handle the no. of pixels you won't get what you want. If 17 MP is
useful for 35mm, something approaching 68 MP would be useful for MF
(with lenses equal to those used on the 35mm camera).

-jeff