[OM] Re: is a long post okay?; snide crackers

Subject: [OM] Re: is a long post okay?; snide crackers
From: Philip Pemberton <oly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 22:30:01 +0100
Walt Wayman wrote:
 > Well, the actual phrase is "It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsey in
snide." I haven't a clue what it means. I do like the way it sounds. Of
course, I've been a fan of nonsense my whole silly life. :-)

British slang. Or at least some of it is.
Crackers = mad, insane, stupid
Slip = give
Rozzer = police officer (old 19th-century slang, IIRC)
Dropsey = not sure about this one - money?
Snide = Chambers English Dictionary says this could mean 'counterfeit', in
addition to the more common use 'expressing criticism or disapproval in an
offensive, sly or malicious manner'.

Perhaps something to the effect of "it's stupid to bribe a policeman with
counterfeit money"?

<http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.lang/msg/d88dd23702fded59?hl=en&;>
suggests that my guess might be correct.

--
Phil.                         |  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
oly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain