[OM] Re: Lightroom testing

Subject: [OM] Re: Lightroom testing
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 16:34:46 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> I've downloaded the latest/greatest beta version of Lightroom
> and have been fiddling around with it
I did download the latest beta, but haven't done much with it to date. I
was excited with the first Windoze release, but ultimately unconvinced.

The master curves display that shows the cumulative effect of all
adjustments is magic, I love it. And it looks at first glance better in
the new beta. For image level curves and histogram work it's great.

However, there are a number of function/tools that I use regularly in PS
missing, so I can't finish the job for most images without going on to PS:

Selection - I very often work on part of an image at a time, so the lack
of selection capability is frustrating.

Layers -
- I often use selection to create layers, so I can separately adjust
different parts of an image, stack them, turn them on and off, etc.
- I have several generic actions to apply LCE, sharpening, brightness,
etc. by creating a new layer and applying a fixed amount, then I can
adjust the amount for the indivudual  using transparency. This is very
fast and I can see the effect compared to before by clicking the layer
on and off.
- The before and after displays in Lightroom are nice, but not as
effective for viewing subtle changes as seeing a single image at a
larger size where the result of a change can be observed going on and
off as I click the mouse while looking at different parts of the image.

History - Lightroom has a sort of undo. I don't quite understand it yet,
but I sure dont' seem to find any redo. so if I've done a bunch of
adjustments and hit Previous, I lose them all and can't go forward again
except step by step. This is far less flexible than PS.

Sharpening - Without the parameters PS uses, I don't see how to apply
local contrast enhancement.

Saved processes. - Like some others, it is good at applying the same
corrections across many images. Unlike editors, it doesn't provide a
macro/action function.

So far in the development of Lightroom, it's betwixt and between, more
powerful and intuitive than ACRS, but still requiring PS for most
images. As it stands, I wouldn't pay much for it, as PS with ACRS will
do more overall, although in a different order and with less integrated
and intuitive curve/histogram/ShadowHighlight/etc. tools
> First of all, it's slow!  In reality, not that slow,
Yes it is. Its reaction time to simple adjustments is slow enough that
it gets in the way of my work process. I picked up the new beta and
tried it out a bit. I found myself flailing about as the image didn't
respond to the sliders so I over and undershot. I felt like I was
flailing around. Of course, I could adjust myself, but when PS and RSE
don't require that, why should I adjust to slower? One hopes tht will be
fixed before the beta process is over.
> There are a lot of truely innovative features and capabilities,
> but what I'm seeing at this point where the usability almost
> dictates my usage of it is the filing system. It's intuitive and
> a huge step up from my Windows Directory Tree structure.
> Lightroom functions as the "glue" between all of your imaging
> apps and workflow.
I guess my intuition isn't the same as yours. I've struggled a bit with
it. I would need to be committed to Lightroom to go to the trouble of
setting up it's file/index system for my images. It seems like every
converter and viewer and whatever has it's own system that catalogs
everything in its own way, and none of them are compatible. I only want
to go through and label and rate my images once. So, of course, they
aren't indexed and labeled. Probably something I'm missing here.
> It also works with all image types--including JPEGs. This aspect alone is
> almost worth the price of admission.

That's special? PS with ACRS works on everything, as do FastStone,
VueScan, BreezeBrowser, Picassa, IrfanView and, I assume, others.
> One thing where this program is really shining is in
> manipulation of people pictures. It's very easy to adjust
> skintones without skewing the background. This truely is a
> program that allows you to "get it right" during the conversion
> and nearly eliminates post-production editing except for
> localized editing.

I think that's the point. For someone working with consistent subject
matter, and especially studio work, like the examples they provide, it
looks wonderful. For someone like me, who comes in with a mishmash of
subjects, lighting, etc., it is less perfect.
> So far, I think it's a real winner. If they can get the speed up
> where it functions like RawShooter and if they can keep the
> price reasonable (I refuse to pay $500+ for a program like
> this)then it should be ok.

Yep, price is going to be crucial. For under $100, I might use it in
place of ACRS. I can certainly go further with it, even if many images
still have to go on into PS. For a price in the range of the other parts
of the Creative Suite, no dice.
> I did encounter two issues, though, which require keeping an eye
> on. The sharpening algorithm isn't quite "there"
It seems to me to work better than any other really simple, one slider
sharpening tool I've seen. But it doesn't have the flexibility I want.
> and the De-Noise function tends to be fooled when dealing with
> large-pattern shapes.  If, for example, you have a picture of a
> split-rail fence, the scenery between the rails will lighten up
> lose detail. Very unusual, and something I've never seen before
> with any other noise-removeal algorithm.

I haven't tried this yet, but I"m skeptical of a one slider noise
correction. I haven't tried Smooth either. I assume Sharpen, Smooth and
D-enoise interact in interesting ways. Playing with that should be a
good way to lose a couple of days. :-)
> Anyway, it's a start, for me. I'll be giving this beta version a
> workout and maybe I'll end up utilizing it for most, if not all,
> of my projects.
I'll be awaiting further reports.
> This, of course, is exactly what Adobe wants us to do by getting us all
> hooked on it.

Oh, yeah! But that's all right if it delivers value.

Moose