[OM] Re: new pics posted

Subject: [OM] Re: new pics posted
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 21:13:53 -0700
Tim Randles wrote:
> I'm home from Baffin Island for the winter, and have some posted pics.
>
> I wish I could take pics to do justice to this incredible spectacular place.
> I still havent figured out how to white balance the blue Ultraviolet out of
> the pics,
Don't feel bad, it can't be done. Sometimes, you can get close, but if
UV is really the culprit, you can never get it really right. I do seem
to recall working on a pic or two of yours where the blue cast seemed
largely to be incorrect WB and pretty correctable.

If you need a technical explanation, I've done so several times before
and can find one to repost. If it's enough just to know, do the filter
thing.
> and dont have a UV filter yet, but I will for the spring, when I go back to
> open the camp up again 2nd week in March.

UV may not be enough. I recommend you also get an 81a filter. It's
slightly stronger than a UV. UV is a case where too much filter effect
can be fully corrected in post, but too little can't.
> Disclaimer: The seals and walrus/polar bear fight images were taken by a
> biologist there, unfortunately I didnt get to see the actual fight, but a
> spectacular image none the less and worth sharing.  I have permission to post
> it
>
> http://baffinislandntcanada.fotopic.net

I don't have the time to go through these at leisure just now, but I
look forward to it.

Moose