[OM] Re: "(...) the fastest macro lenses for 35mm full-frame photography

Subject: [OM] Re: "(...) the fastest macro lenses for 35mm full-frame photography today (...)" (RANT)
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 07:00:27 -0400
Bart, you're correct, "never" was the wrong word to choose.

I was quoting Zeiss, though from a number of years ago.  One of their
chief scientists gave interviews explaining the technical problems.
When 35mm AF SLRs starting dominating the market they dug in their
heels and refused to participate, citing quality issues.  That led
to/forced the Kyocera development of the AX.  As I recall, other
Contax SLRs had focus bracketing.  This article offers a somewhat
different perspective that may be germane:

http://www.anstendig.org/AutofocusFlaw.html

I still get the sense that they got dragged, kicking and screaming,
into AF.  I've tried to google the articles that gave me this
impression but can't get to them now.  I wonder if they took a
decision business decision over a philosophical/technical one.  It
seems to me that AF, even with a lot of improvements over the years,
remains "good enough" and that just ain't the Zeiss way.

It's also interesting to note that this recent announcement is for . .
. manual focus lenses.

ScottGee1