[OM] Re: Totaly off topic - a bit back on & some ?'s

Subject: [OM] Re: Totaly off topic - a bit back on & some ?'s
From: Russ Butler <russ@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 08:44:14 -0400
Chris Barker wrote:
> :-)).  I'm working on my middle-age m/c purchase at the moment.  It's
> a long process.

I started riding on the road at 48, after my kids were on their own. I'd
ridden off road since my 20's so 'knew' how to ride. Best thing I ever
did, as touring around the country made a whole new life for me. 350K
mi. later & still very alive at 62. It IS dangerous though, especially
the learning process and the first 10-20K. You have to ride as though
invisible and assume that every car is out to get you. Safest way to
learn riding skills is off road, on a small dirt bike. Then traffic
skills on a road bike. Formal riding courses can be helpful.

An 'on topic' justification for riding a m/c (& this may help with SWMBO
) is that it gives an unrestricted view of potential shots. That's the
plus side. The downside for me at the moment is that I have to pass up
too many good shots in order to make decent progress down the road. I'm
using OM's and taking a picture involves dismounting, removing (full
face) helmet and gloves, withdrawing camera from case in tank bag, lens
cover off, and finally the shot(s).

I suppose I should use a digital camera for riding, though selecting one
is not trivial. I need a camera that can be operated with gloves on and
whose screen can be easily seen. A zoom range from <28 to >150mm
(equiv); with priority on the wide end. One that remembers its settings
so that I don't have to reset them on each use (I haven't found this
feature highlighted on e.g. the dpreview comparo selectors). And good
pics to boot. Perhaps unobtainium?

ANY recommendations really appreciated.

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)
Airhead 2372; 88&89 R100GS's, 02 DL1000(vstrom)