[OM] Re: Question about EV compensation of flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Question about EV compensation of flash
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 04:00:27 -0700
> What the F280 does I don't know. There's no reason why
> it couldn't change the shutter speed. But my guess is that
> would make it too complicated. It probably behaves the
> same as the other flash units with respect to compensation.

When the F280 is used in its normal auto-exposure mode, the duration of the
flash varies with the film speed -- pick a different speed (which is what the
exposure compensation dial actually does) and the flash exposure changes.

When the F280 is in focal-plane (FP) mode, it simply emits about 200 short
bursts of light. The number of bursts and their intensity are fixed. The
exposure is controlled by the shutter speed and aperture.

The F280 is unable to adjust its output to give "correct" fill-in. You have to
be at the "right" distance to get the balance you want.

I don't know how Super FP (which is used in a number of ZLRs, and the FL-36 and
FL-50) works, because the user manuals don't bother to explain it (ie, the
writers didn't bother to ask, or were too stupid to understand the explanation).