[OM] Pixology's noise enhancing printing!

Subject: [OM] Pixology's noise enhancing printing!
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:21:52 +0100
This is probably wandering off-topic, but I am interested in anyone
else's experience with Photo Books printed by Pixology:
http://www.asda-photo.co.uk/wpp/asda/buygifts_tour.jsp?type=3030album

I was really quite impressed with the book, but the printing was
terrible - I have now had my third one, which is the best so far but is
still terrible.

They seem to have found any noise and enhanced it - I can get close to
their results on screen if I try really hard, by really boosting the
shadows using the the curves tool. The problem showed on about half the
pages. I have had all the pictures professionally printed at 9x6" and
they were fine.

A quick scan of one of the pages:
http://www.whizzkid.co.uk/pixology-printing

The original: http://photo.whizzkid.co.uk/Ruby/Portraits/web_1006.jpg.html

It is obviously down to noise since the only images with problems were
shot with 800 ISO. Shots taken at 400 ISO are fine, but even so, it
takes considerable effort to make the image look this bad.

I have spoken to their Customer Support and they aren't really much help
- apart from offering a discount.

Does anyone know of a similar product that is printed well? Or maybe
someone can suggest a way that I can prep my images so that the effect
doesn't show?

Any help appreciated.

Mike.