[OM] Re: E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:27:56 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> You neglected to note John's comment on lens speed.  The Canons at f/4
> and f/4.5-5.6 don't compare very favorably to both Zuiko's f/2.8-3.5.
> That's why in my response I tried to find lenses that could cover the
> full range at a constant f/2.8.  You can do it but it takes three lenses
> instead of two and a pack burro to carry it all around.
>
> Of course, the 5D can handle a couple more notches on the ISO dial so a
> stop or two slower on the aperture is more readily handled.

Pretty much what I was going to say. And....

How about 28-480 mm in one lens? With the 5D, 28mm is the same FOV as on
35mm. And at 300 mm, cropped, it's as good as 480 mm eq. on a 6.3 mp,
1.6x sensor. Factoring in 2+ stops of additional speed with no more
noise than E-thingies, the 28-300/3.5-6.3 can act like a 28-480/1.8-3.2.
Of course, the camera has to be able to focus in dim light with a slow
lens, another area where the 5D happens to excel.

It's easy to think of the 5D a large, heavy and expensive camera. For
those who don't need fast lenses for shallow DOF or viewfinder
brightness (The 5D viewfinder is already brighter than small sensor
cameras, but not as bright as an OM.), a great deal of money can be
saved on lenses and total kit weight may be less than another camera
with all f2.8 lenses.

It just isn't the same as film, the rules have changed.

Moose