[OM] Re: Need for rebuild on M. 15V Ni-Cd Control Packs - Yes or No?

Subject: [OM] Re: Need for rebuild on M. 15V Ni-Cd Control Packs - Yes or No?
From: Richard Ociepka <ociepka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:03:22 -0400
S Revlis wrote:
> I'd like to know what the odds are for a M. 15V Ni-Cd Control Pack  for a
> Motor Drive to need a rebuild.

Should be good for 3 years or 1000 recharges.

>   If it is a control pack 1 that had lots of use is it possibe that the cells
> are still good and will hold a charge? What about control pack 2?

Ni-Cad's can short if discharged to a too low a voltage, typically 1v
per cell. They develop a cat whisker short between electrodes and the
pack will be reduced by 1.25v  per shorted cell. This short can be cured
but the cell will be weaker than the others.

I personally would not buy a used Ni-Cad pack.

Dick