[OM] Re: My eyes are deceiving me

Subject: [OM] Re: My eyes are deceiving me
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:56:39 -0700
Bill Pearce wrote:
>> Less than two weeks ago I finally learned, for the first time,
>> that RAW images from Canon cameras are not as noise-free as
>> JPEGs.  However, all the review sites compare JPEGs.  The
>> Canon's super-clean CMOS sensor trumped everybody else.
>>
> For starters, comparing jpegs is a stupid idea, that introduces additional
> variables. I would test both.
>
> Some time ago (years?) someone here posted a link to canon's website. We
> were discussing plastic skin, and the site, in the process of selling us on
> the unique advantages of the CMOS sensor, said in passing that by
> manufacturing their own sensors, they were able to add an initial level of
> processing on the chip. We understood this to be applied to the RAW file as
> well as the jpegs.

I don't have the brain power to find and read this again. My
recollection is that the "processing" is at the individual pixel level,
with no algorithm involved and no reference output levels of adjacent
pixels; an electronic arrangement of chip elements that reduces noise.
As such, it will have no effect on resolution of detail. That is, to my
mind, an entirely different thing than noise reduction algorithms
applied later that make adjustments based on nearby pixels, and all, to
one extent or another, have an effect on detail.

Many aspects of chip hardware design affect noise. I would class what I
read of Canyon's on chip process as in this class, and different than NR
processing done at later levels.
> If that is true, then their super duper new and improved sensors are just
> like everybody elses, except maybe Panasonic.

All of the above, and any theory aside, the 5D produces astonishingly
clean and low noise pixels with very high detail resolution. As I've
posted before, with samples, actual detail resolved by the lame number
of pixels with the 5D is considerable higher than for the earlier 300D.
As a user, does it matter how they get there?

Moose

PS to CH, I didn't start this OT thread, but couldn't resist trying to
answer some of the issues raised. :-)