[OM] Re: Where to buy OM in London?

Subject: [OM] Re: Where to buy OM in London?
From: "Christos Stavrou" <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:14:10 +0100
On 17/10/06, Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not a good time to be looking for used OM in London Olli.

Exactly that, as Piers said... In fact, I'd add that it's probably not
worthy looking for used film equipment in any of those 'big' shops. Their
prices are too high and unreasonably expensive.

Jacobs for instance until recently had prices that could make you lough or
cry for days... totally out of reality (that's why it also closed down in my
city)...

Jessops was the only one who recently (few months ago) had a massive sale to
get rid off everything 'used' and so it kind of reflected the realistic
price of used film material. Nevertheless, it has sold most of its stuff by
now (it stopped buying more) and has obviously mainly turned to digital
now... All their shops are redesigned and you can't see anything film
related any more in there (apart some sad-looking-films behind the
counter).... Film equipment (whatever is left, most probably of low
condition) can be accessed through their site only, or maybe in few special
places (I think one such special place is their Birmingham store, but there
is also another one of their stores in London with 'vintage' stuff which
might be worth lookin' if it's still operating).

Most of these places mentioned in Piers's message, such as Mr Cad, are
actually accessable through the net and the phone. Therefore, as long you
can accept their prices, and just in case that you'd like to save the a
large posting bill.. or more crucially if posting is not an option for you,
then and only then I would personally advise to check them out personally...
Even then, expectations should be low or non-existant...

C.S.