[OM] Re: ORF files?

Subject: [OM] Re: ORF files?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:28:08 -0400
Just an explanation on Piers' comment about getting every last ounce out
of your raw file.  If you use the manufacturer's application you will
get less in the way of dynamic range.  As the sensors pixels reach
saturation the brightness level may be correct but the accuracy of the
color may suffer.  The manufacturers tend to be conservative and chop
things off near the peak.  The third party software guys keep going and
tend to give you everything that's there and may try to guess and
interpolate what it should be.  That's one of the differences amongst
raw converters.  They don't all give the same result for that and other
reasons.

Chuck Norcutt