[OM] Re: Dinghy Heron

Subject: [OM] Re: Dinghy Heron
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:30:19 -0700
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Ah! I've been Moosed! Hooray!
Glad you enjoyed the experience! Did it tickle? :-)
> Just exactly what did you do, oh master manipulator?

First, and critical with most images that are going to get this much
editing, change mode to 16 bit..

Selected the water and copied it to a layer.

Applied LCE to the water (USM amt. 20%, radius 50, Threshold 0). That's
the standard I have saved in an action. In this case, I may well have
applied it twice. It often does magic to water with ripples, shadows,
etc. I just keep applying it until it goes over the top. The action
applies it in a new layer each time, so I can click the last layer on
and off to observe the effect and adjust it in between by varying the
opacity of the layer.

Used curves on the water.

Selected all the bright parts of the dinghy and copied that to a layer.

Used LCE and curves on the base layer. I think I adjusted brightness and
contrast first to leave room on both ends of the histogram for the
effects of LCE without clipping.  The boat and water layers above it
kept those parts from changing.

Flatten layers, convert back to 8 bit and save as JPEG. This is again a
saved action.

Moose