[OM] Re: DSLRs in cold climates?

Subject: [OM] Re: DSLRs in cold climates?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:38:43 -0700 (PDT)
With my E-1, if I'm shooting for a couple hours straight, I'll
change the camera setting to where it doesn't shutoff.  By
keeping current running continously, the battery tends to keep
going longer than if it becomes cold-soaked.  My spare batteries
stay in a warm pocket.

Also, by keeping the camera running, there is usually enough
heat generation to keep the LCDs from siezing up on you.

I haven't done it yet with the E-1, but I have secured a
hand-warmer to my cameras to keep them somewhat thawed out on
early morning shoots.  But we're talking -10 to -15 celcius.
Frankly, I don't work too well at those temperatures either.

The digitals have been FAR more reliable in cold temperatures
for me than my OM system ever was. The Minolta A1 has a pretty
short runtime, but the E-1 does very well.  The grease in my
legacy glass freezes up long before the camera croaks.

Hey, it's getting about time for me to repost my winter tips.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com