[OM] Re: Front element of S Zuiko Zoom 35-70mm/F3.5-4.5 rotate?

Subject: [OM] Re: Front element of S Zuiko Zoom 35-70mm/F3.5-4.5 rotate?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:18:33 -0700
Russ Butler wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
>> The one member of this group that I know of where the front doesn't
>> rotate is the 35-70/3.6. It's also one of those rare lenses where the
>> front moves out for WA and in for tele while the hood does not,
>> providing some "hood zoom". For build quality and optical performance,
>> it's the pick of the 35-70 litter.
>>
>> Moose
>>
> Comparing the 35-70 3.5-4.5 vs the 3.6 at
> http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
> I'd conclude that their performance is about equal.
>
> But being a newbie, there's probably more to it than that.
I did mention both build quality and optical performance.

In optical performance, I think they are pretty close, I would use
either. There have been a few threads on the relative merits of the
35-70 lenses in the time I've been on the list. The overall consensus,
as I recall it, puts the f3.6 at the top by a nose.

Mechanically, they are very different. The 3.5-4.5 is tiny and light,
which is good. It also has many plastic bits in its construction and an
odd, very thin rear element that bulges out at the rear. It may be
simply a dust control device, as the cross section looks like a pure
meniscus with no focal length. Also, if tapped, it sounds like plastic
to me. In any case, it sticks out enough and is thin enough to seem
vulnerable to me. I'm extra careful with the back of this lens.

The f3.6 is bigger and heavier and built to pro standards with all metal
construction and things like ball bearings for reduced wear and longer
life inside. In heavy use, it would long outlast it's smaller brother.
The non-rotating filter ring is very important to many serious
photographers and the zooming hood coverage is another plus.

Me, I tend to use the 3.5-4.5 for its size and weight or the
35-105/3.5-4.5 for the extra reach. The OMPC in ESP metering mode with
35-70/3.5-4.5 is about as perfect a casual, walk-around camera as the
film era produced. OM-2n with 35-70/3.6 (and T32 when needed) was my
primary combo for years.

Moose