[OM] Re: #206 & #207

Subject: [OM] Re: #206 & #207
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:10:04 -0700

Chuck Norcutt wrote on the subject "another sunrise":
> Somehow I missed this one first time around.  I also like this one a
> lot.  It handily passes the saturation cop's scrutinizing eye.

You've hit on a difference on my approach to my own images to showing
alternative views of posted images.

With my images, I am usually looking for something I'd be happy to see
as a good sized print on the wall. Unlike AG, I'm not always patient
enough to wait and see how a particular version wears with some time. I
tend to just post it, sometimes to realize later that a subtler approach
is more to my long term liking. And of course, I'm sometimes called to
task and forced to review sooner rather than later by the saturation
cop. :-)

Fortunately, I still get excited by images and can get carried away in
the excitement. I don't think I'll apologize for that. ;-)

When "Mooseterizing" I tend to go further toward the limit. As an
exercise, it shows how much can be done, found, enhanced. Displayed as
they are as roll overs of the original, I hope it's easy for the viewer
to imagine their own perfect level somewhere between the images shown.

I also usually find it easier to be subtle when working with the
original, full size file.

In this case, though, I'm not sure I agree (Shades of Yosemite Valley!).
#207 is the same sky, and I'll bet not far apart in time, so I don't
think I'm far off, but I wouldn't mind it backed off just a tiny bit.

What fascinated me is all the lost foliage that came forward. I don't
recall seeing such a large effect like that before. Trees magically
filling out. I'm going to take more care when selecting sky with trees
in the future. I think I may have missed some opportunities.

Moose