[OM] Re: photoshop upgrade (Adobe RGB and sRGB)

Subject: [OM] Re: photoshop upgrade (Adobe RGB and sRGB)
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:21:07 +0800
As far as I know most monitors are calibrated to sRGB. With an Adobe RGB
file  you have to view under Photoshop and set to the same color profile in
order to reproduce the right color.

There is always a confusion about Adobe RGB contains more color but actully
it just shrink the color range to reduce the chance of clipping during
editing. Just like set the contrast of a DC to "low" in order to avoid
clipping of highlight and shadow details that I did in the pass when
shooting JPEG.

There is a drawback though, the narrow color range (low contrast original)
does not make use most of the bits, it results easier banding when you
adjust the color/contrast. It is not a problem for 16 bit image but for 8
bit it could be.

Actually, the best way is to shoot RAW and have all color/contrast adjusted
before doing other editing in PS. In this case sRGB is the best profile to
be used since you don't have to convert back to sRGB when sending to lab.
(normal lab like the one use Fuji Frontier only accept sRGB).

C.H.Ling