[OM] Re: Is this a "Fang" ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is this a "Fang" ?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 07:02:47 -0400
Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law but glad to see you back here.

I enjoyed looking at your family tree photos.  I think some of the old
portraitists did a very good job.  I'm also a little intrigued by this
shot since there's very little shadow for a daylight scene.
<http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/SFR/images/William&Sarah-family.htm>

Could be that it was just a softly lit hazy day ideal for taking a group
photo.  But it makes me wonder what sort of flash bulb setup might have
been used in 1953 for fill light on a large group or whether such things
were even done then.  I'm not quite old enough to know the answer.

I'm not sure what to do about a blemish on the rear element which I've
been told is worse than a mark on the front.  Maybe absolutely nothing.
  Based on the drawing in the eSIF I estimate that the rear element has
only about 1/5 of the area of the front element thus making the size of
the blemish much more important there.  However, assuming a rear element
some 13-14mm in diameter and a blemish some 1.5mm in diameter the
blemish is still less than 1.5% of the area of the rear element.
Inconsequential on the front but I don't know about the back.

Chuck Norcutt