[OM] Sigma DSLR with new Foveon chip

Subject: [OM] Sigma DSLR with new Foveon chip
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 04:51:52 -0700
Sigma is making noise about their new body with a higher-resolution (14Mp)
Foveon chip. In case you didn't know, the Foveon X3 sensor has three
layerss, rather than 1, with the primary colors detected at different
depths.

Sigma's claims are interesting (to me), because they state their images --
which provide a true 14Mp without interpolation -- reproduce the "texture"
missing from conventional single-layer Bayer-patterned sensors. I've always
been bothered that digital camera images seem to lack "texture", though
whether this is due to insufficient resolution or simply a lack of grain, I
don't know.

If you have time, visit the Sigma site and view the presentation. It's
spectacular (and I don't use that word lightly).