[OM] Re: Bounce Grip 2, T32 question

Subject: [OM] Re: Bounce Grip 2, T32 question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:27:18 -0400
Here's my choice for an external power pack
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=294330&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>
A little larger and heavier than the Quantum Turbo but completely
compatible with its cables and operation and dramatically cheaper than
the Quantum Turbo at less than 1/3 its price.

This will recycle a T-32 after a full power dump in only about 1-1/2
seconds or two of them in 3 seconds.  I use it along with a Quantum "Y"
power cable to power two T-32's as a portable, off-camera flash unit
either as the main or as a fill light.  Here's my rig but shown without
the cables and power pack attached.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Umbrella%20adapter%20mounted%20on%20tripod%20%232.jpg>

In use, the two flashes are connected by a short TTL cable using the
T-32's side sockets.  It can be operated as a TTL flash for OM by
plugging a TTL cable into the T-20 connector under the unit at the right
or as a manually controlled flash by using the PC connector under the
unit on the left.  These days it's more likely to be used in manual mode
with a flash meter and digital camera and fired by a cheap $20 ebay
radio slave connected to the PC socket.  Connecting the radio
transmitter to the flash meter's PC socket also allows the meter to fire
the flash remotely from the position of the subject.

When I first built this rig I made it capable of holding four T-32's
with numbers 3 and 4 being mounted outboard of and upside down
underneath the two on top.  Numbers 3 and 4 are fired by optical slave
in the mounting shoe as shown here
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Homemade%20bracket%20&%20various%20hotshoe%20adapters.jpg>
But I've discovered that four T-32's is overkill and I have to resort to
internal battery power which dramatically lengthens recycle time and
makes flash power output much less predictable.  T-32 recycle time and
maximum power output are extremely dependent on battery voltage.  Full
power recycle time can easily be more than double the spec. and actual
full power output can easily be 1 full stop less than the spec.  Not
always critical with TTL control but very serious for manual control.
The guide number is a myth.  But that's true for all on-camera battery
powered flash units.  Not just the T-32.

If you do a lot of flash photography an external battery pack is highly
recommended.

Chuck Norcutt