[OM] Re: Not REALLY bragging, but...

Subject: [OM] Re: Not REALLY bragging, but...
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:59:04 +1300
Keith wrote
> I scored a Zuiko 35-70mm  1:3.6  MC Zoom on Friday!
> It came as a body lens mount filler-upper, as the body was nothing to
> brag about, for certain!
> In fact, I've pulled the lens off and hidden the body in the rear corner
> of a camera shelf...
> I'm going to have fun checking this little heavy (400 gm) beauty out
> next week.
> I think a couple of folks here have one. I'd appreciate comments of any
> sort...

This is one of the classic Zuikos and was quite expensive when it first came
out (before my education in this group). I have one and some of my sharpest
shots were made using it. That novel focusing action combined with the lens-
hood is great for good lens-shading.
For an appreciation of it, see
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

However, I also have (from new in the 1980s) a Zuiko 35-105 which is one of
the sharpest lenses I possess, primes included. With the longer reach of the
35-105 over the 35-70 often being more useful I tend to use the longer lens
rather more.

While I think of it, I have been using the Zuiko 500/8 n my E-1 quite a bit. Of
course, it helps to use it on a solid tripod. I have found that using the 12
second delay on the E-1, augmented by a hand pressing firmly down on top
of the camera yields significantly sharper images.

Shades of the OM series !!

Brian