[OM] : Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9

Subject: [OM] : Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:38:55 +1300
Chuck wrote

> Yes, I've been noticing that digital is so compositionally restrictive.  :-)
>
> Chuck Norcutt

I agree, I much prefer the 36 mm × 24 mm  /   9 × 6  /  6 × 4  /  3 × 2  format
of 35mm film over 4 × 3 digital or 6 × 7 and  6 ×  8 medium format.

I think this is because I like doing landscapes, so I need that horizontal
extension.

Compared with film, the restrictive aspects of digital are not confined to
composition.  The latitude compared with film, especially with print film, and
that highlights are blown out so badly, are quite restrictive to subject. I
just
means that, as for Kodachrome, subjects with much light and dark must be
avoided.

When I have been using the E-1 and manual Zuiko 50/3.5 to copy B&W
prints, the first thing I check after goodness of focus is the degree to which
the highlights are blown out.

Regards, Brian Swale