[OM] Re: E-400 Caution

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 Caution
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 00:48:57 -0800
I don't have a precise judgement of quality. I'm seldom happy with my
own 35mm film images that were taken on film faster than ISO100 and I
prefer Velvia to Provia ... thus my personal 35mm Velvia standard. My
experience has been that the film loaded in my OM affects my perceived
quality much more than which Zuiko is mounted on my camera. I wasn't
happy with the first few images I took with a Tamron SP 60-300
compared to my often used Zuiko 50-250. Similarly I definitely prefer
the Tamron 80-200/2.8 over the Tokina 80-200/2.8.( I consider the
Tamron 80-200/2.8 and Zuiko 50-250/5 to be different but of comparable
qualitiy.) Thus my own vague standard of a good Zuiko on Velvia or
better...

My experience with digital is that the E1 is fantastic for my real
estate work but not for my fun and games. The E300 is good enough much
of the time but if I'm expecting good photo opportunities I will carry
along a second camera such as a medium format film camera. This last
summer ended up being consumed by work and almost no play so my 5D
hasn't really been tested the way I had hoped.

Separating the lens from the camera capability isn't clear cut of
course. I've seen claims that the 24-105 is noticeably softer at the
long end when used on a 5D ... thus it appears to be the more limiting
than the 5D. I've seen different lens comparisons done both using a
lens on the 1DsII vs. 5D and on a 5D vs. a D20. If the 8MP camera
gives very comparable results to the 5D, then my interest in  the lens
wilts.

Yes, when judging a lens I'm putting a lot of weight on the comments
of tests performed using a 1DSII. You are using your 5D as your first
choice of camera. I'm still using mine as "film" for my Zuikos. My
vague quality standards would seem pretty odd to you.

-jeff