[OM] Re: E-400 Caution

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 Caution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 01:31:50 -0800
Jeff Keller wrote:
> I'm not really interested in replacing my big telephotos. A 24-105
> would be an ideal zoom range for me.
A great range, but a lot of money, too. After a lot or reading/research,
I'm convinced the 28-105/3.5-4.5 is a better bet for me. I may know soon
if..... I would only really need it if I get the 70-300 DO.
> Maybe someday I would consider an
> EOS mount 300mm but I haven't even looked at any descriptions of them
> yet.

Interestingly enough, PopPhoto's tests show the Tamron 28-300Di to be a
better optical performer at the long end than the Canon 28-300 L, no IS
though.
> You've probably seen the importance of using a hood with the DO
> lenses. They can give some pretty surprising flare.

Yes, I'm aware of the DO controversies and have looked at a lot of
images on the web. I'm pretty much a hood stickler, so that's no problem.
> You're thinking of Joel in the Porcupines.
Oops, and here I am thinking I'm wide awake at hours like this.
> I sometimes move slow
> enough that my companion sits down and reads a book. I've also
> convinced a few anxious home owner/sellers that they don't have the
> time to watch me take pictures  ;-)

Here's what the well adapted photographer's companion does
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020501_05.htm>.

Moose