[OM] : Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9

Subject: [OM] : Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:29:01 +1300
Hi all,

To respond to some points made about format and E-1s etc.

I am unable to run RSE or the Olympus RAW processing software ( or the
update code for cameras and lenses for that matter).

To be able do so would mean buying another computer, and that is not near
the top of my priority list right now.

Neither is buying another digital lens, unless I spot a very good buy, in which
case my choice would probably be the 50/2 DZ.  The manual Zuiko 50/3.5 is
quite sharp and does an excellent job, with practice.

RAW files are therefore a waste of (unavailable) space for me at present.

In my opinion it is not unreasonable to expect that 3.3 MB jpeg files should
be usable straight out of the camera, and the point I was trying to make is
that in contrasty situations this is not the case. Digital shooters therefore
must needs confine their shooting to non-contrasty subjects. It is not
reasonable to expect a photographer to have to spend a long time doing post-
exposure processing on a computer to make an image usable.

However, I do find the E-1 very useful for taking scoping shots to help me
size up a subject for when I come along to take the real photo  :-)>

OM4T of course, or Mamiya Press.

Brian
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are
putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
    -- Mark Twain