[OM] Re: E-400 Caution

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 Caution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:52:02 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I haven't heard about flare but I did see one shot taken with (I think)
> the 70-300 DO lens to illustrate some outrageous bokeh.
Probably the 400 DO
> Made me swear
> off any notion of ever owning one.  The bokeh was similar to the donuts
> one gets with a mirror lens but much worse.  Each donut was actually
> composed of a series of concentric donuts such that they looked like
> little targets.  I believe that the bokeh is actually representative of
> the DO element which I think has a series of concentric rings in it.
> But take this with a larger grain of salt since I can't recall where I
> saw any of this.

Large grain taken. I"m well aware of the horror stories, and have seen
some posted pics that are supposed to be awful. It seems to me that the
400 is a bit iffy, but not a big problem and the problem shows up in the
70-300 very seldom, is very mild and can't be seen in prints, only at
full pixel on the screen. Certainly I saw nothing remotely like what I
get with mirror lenses.

For the combo of size, price, speed and IS, it seems to me to be an
attractive lens. But I know I'm weird. I don't get all the noise about
the 24-105 - big, heavy and expensive and with some optical shortcomings
worse than the 70-300 DO and in a range where IS isn't nearly as important.

Oh, well.

Moose