[OM] Re: : Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9

Subject: [OM] Re: : Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:52:42 -0800 (PST)
Moose wrote:
> The 50/3.5 is a really excellent lens on digital, in my
> experience.

Very much agreed. Best aspect of it is the flat-fieldedness.
However, the lens is prone to flare.

> I can't imagine the DZ would offer any performance advantages
> other than convenience of operation.

Even the 14-54 pushes the AA filter.

>> I my opinion it is not unreasonable to expect that 3.3 MB
>> jpeg files should be usable straight out of the camera,
>>
> Absolutely, although with some, to you very modest, compromise
> from the full imaging capabilities of the camera.

If exposed correctly, the E-1 is fully capable of producing
outstanding images right out of the camera--not needing any
post-processing.  It's no different than shooting chromes in
this regard. However, it's for those really edgy circumstances
where you are doing something unusual or artistic in nature
where you might find a benefit to shooting RAW.  But RAW
processing isn't required.  It's somewhat cyclical, but I shoot
JPEG about 1/2 the time.  In fact, when shooting any sporting
event or something where I'm hammered up against the buffer, I'm
almost always shooting JPEG HQ.  Say WHAT?  Yup, ISO 800 (or
even 1600) in JPEG with the sharpness set at "0" produces
amazingly clean images.  They won't be 5D clean, but they are
perfectly adequate for prints up to 8x10 with no additional
processing.

> I just could not believe that this was true of the E-1, but I
> don't have one. Fortunately AG is there to take up that issue.

The E-1 is better at high-contrast scenes than the majority of
cameras out there. The Fuji S3, Canon 5D are two cameras in
particular which have really wide exposure latitude, but their
gain over the E-1 is marginal.  One thing you rarely, if ever,
hear from E-1 users is gripes about blown highlights.  As far as
shadow detail is concerned, well, I prefer solid footing in my
images anyway, so loss of Zone I is of little concern to me.

> AG is a technically adept pro who has used the E-1
> extensively, listen to what  he says.

Aw shucks.  I'm over 17,000 images with the E-1 and about the
same with the A1 and I feel like I've barely scratched the
surface of what these cameras are able to do.  There are a few
features that I've never used yet

> I am looking for something more than a just a usable image.
> It only takes a few seconds to adjust most shots. Some really
> good ones that can become great are worth extra time to me.

Those "extra time" pictures are also the exception, not the
norm.  I take on average about 100 pictures a week that are shot
straight to JPEG and uploaded or printed with ZERO modification.
Except for photography trips, workshops or destination spots, I
take maybe one or two pictures a month worthy of serious
post-processing time.  Portrait/wedding work is an obvious
exception, bt that's purely business.

AG

(http://voice.yahoo.com)