[OM] Re: A scary thought for Halloween

Subject: [OM] Re: A scary thought for Halloween
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:20:17 -0500
Richard, I'm glad to hear you've had good experience with this.

That certainly makes sense for items that are unlikely to be
problematic.  However, those that might require return can present a
problem because very few merchants will refund shipping costs even if
an item is DOA.

It's a primary tactic used by the crooks who advertise low prices to
deceive the gullible.  Product price is lower than what (for example)
B&H charges but after s&h are added in, the total price is usually
close to that of a legit dealer.  Then, if you try to return  the
merchandise, they'll refund only the falsely low purchase price and
you'll be hit with a restocking fee as well.  Oh, and you have to pay
return shipping AFTER getting a an ROA from customer "service".

I would also submit that merchants who do this are less than
trustworthy to begin with.  There are more than a few reports of them
sending supposedly new equipment that was clearly a demo model or even
used.  When you call to address it, you find yourself in an endless
loop and if you get a hold of someone they'll probably accuse you of
using it and trying to return it, "which is why we have to protect
ourselves with a restocking fee!"  Yeah, right.

To paraphrase Monty Python, "Scam, scam, scam, scam!"

Don't ask how I know about this . . .

ScottGee1