[OM] DNG issues with E-1 files

Subject: [OM] DNG issues with E-1 files
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 11:09:58 -0800 (PST)
I downloaded the latest/greatest DNG converter from the Ad*be
website and did some testing.  Previous attempts at DNG
conversions on the E-1 files were less than successful, but I
figured that I'd give it another go.

I converted about 15 images and noted that the file size with
lossless compression dropped to about 1/2.  Ok, good so far.

Then I opened up the files in the lastest ACR and compared them
to the original ORFs. Something was just a little off, but
wasn't quite sure what.  There was something different in the
highlights.

Next I opened up the DNGs in RSE 2006, which supports DNG file
formats.  Uh oh.  Lot's of pattern noise.  No, we're not talking
subtle noise either, but in-your-face patterns resembling a
maze.  Completely unusable noise.

I reconverted the files into DNG not using the compression and
tried again.  This time the noise changed, but was still
present.

What it looks like to me is that during the conversion to DNG,
the bayer-matrix was shifted down and over by a pixel cell and
the RG and BG placement was mis-mapped into adjacent cells.

The ACR conversion appears to be supressing the pattern noise,
but the luminous information isn't lined up with the color
information.  I did not get an opportunity to test Lightroom on
the files, but suspect that it uses the same ACR engine.

At this point, I think I'll continue to stick with the original
RAW files and not try to convert them to DNG. This is probably
best because it allows me to still use Olympus Viewer for the
odd picture where I want to utilize Olympus' color mapping.

AG

(http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)