[OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units

Subject: [OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 13:39:04 -0500
I find that the easiest way to avoid the cave dweller look is use "room
lights" to provide bacground illumination about 1-2 stops below the main
light on the camera as seen here: <http://chucknorcutt.com/party.php>
Dragging the shutter (1/4 second, f/8 ISO 100 in this case) also allows
the incandescent lights to show.  Without it they would be totally
washed out by the flash and wouldn't likely show at all or only as
little dots.  In this shot there are two studio strobes off to the left
reflecting off the ceiling of the tent.  The white interior of the tent
works very well here.  But it still works well even with a less ideal
room.  In this shot the background fill is much more obviously coming
from studio strobes at left.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/weddings/img_5467.htm>

Chuck Norcutt