[OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units

Subject: [OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:14:16 -0800
Thanks AG. but my interest is different from most list members. I take
pictures of empty rooms. Chuck seems to get his ceilings fairly evenly
lighted without odd shadows anywhere.

I most often have the strobes off the camera and can use whatever
exposure time I need to capture the image. I use the flash to soften
shadows and to wash out yellow green flourescent light.

I seldom want truly even light. An essentially empty room isn't very
interesting if it is evenly ligted. I will use strobes to have
"sunlight" pour out of an open door into a hallway or into another
room.

Bounce lighting seldom works.  More often I'll put the on camera flash
in telemode in an attempt to brighten the far end.

Keeping incandescent lights natural is very important. Flourescent
lights seem to always be a problem that I can at best, try to
minimize. Warming up a room is more of an effort to eliminate blue
spots on ceilings etc. The only good way I've been able to handle that
is to put color correcting filters on the flash. That should work well
for weddings etc.

If the wall is textured, I usually look for ways to bringout the "skin
imperfections".

Quickly getting good results is my challenge. I'm always looking at
flash pictures trying to pick up ideas. Thanks,

-jeff