[OM] Re: OM-1N shutter firing on B

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1N shutter firing on B
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:21:52 +0000
I've not got an OM1 - but my OM2 and OM40 both keep the shutter open on B.
The OM2 is in many ways effectively an OM1 with extras. I can't double-check
the OM2 at the moment as it has film in it - but I know that on 'manual',
the shutter stays open on 'B' until the shutter button is released. Just
checked my OM40 on 'B' and in 'manual' mode the shutter stays open (as
expected) until the shutter button is released. The shutter automatically
closes in either 'auto' or 'Program' modes, (as expected) even with the
shutter speed to 'B'. The other OMs I've had (10, 20, and 30) which I just
sold recently, all kept the shutter open on 'B' until the button was
released. So I think that you may have a problem with your camera. Have you
tried replacing the battery? (yes, I know the OM1 has a 'mechanical' shutter
and that the battery is really only needed for the metering system). Since
only the OM1 has/had a manual mirror lock up feature - have you checked
that? Not having owned an OM1 I'm not sure if that would make any
difference. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: "Ian Lowman" <lowman.ian@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] OM-1N shutter firing on B
>Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 01:24:58 -0500
>
>Hi all,
>
>I was just looking at one of my OM-1 camera bodies and, for the first time
>recently, switched it to the B setting, in order to look straight through
>it. To my surprise, instead of keeping open, it worked like it had been set
>at 1/15 second (based on sound). All of the other (non-B) shutter settings
>sounded reasonably correct.
>
>Is this a known/common problem? If so, I have a couple of questions:
>a) does it affect other speeds? (assuming I don't need to use the B setting
>on this body)
>b) is it an expensive repair?
>
>Thanks,
>Ian

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!