[OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units

Subject: [OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 06:55:22 -0800 (PST)
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I find it's much easier to up the ISO dial on the 5D than
> double the size, weight and price of the flash unit to pick
> up an extra stop.

This also has the benefit of raising the ambient exposure too.
This is important if you want to avoid "cave-dweller weddings"
where the background is black with the occasional set of
eyeballs floating in the darkness.

My usual technique, which I vary as necessary, is to set the
285HV on Auto-Yellow, camera ISO to 800 and the F-stop to F4.5.
Typically, I'll place the camera in Aperture-Priority and will
use the Exposure-Compensation to dial in -2 stops.  If I step
outside, I'll turn the ISO down as necessary to keep the shutter
speeds below 1/180. (max sync speed).  If the room is especially
dark or the distance is greater, I'll bump the ISO up to 1600.

Oh, I am using the Lumiquest UltraBounce with the flash head set
up at a 45 degree angle. The results of these pictures are
remarkably natural and have nearly no indication that flash was
used on the photos.

The Stroboframes are THE way to go.  Gotta love em.

AG

(http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)