[OM] Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9 - Now RAW DATA Edit

Subject: [OM] Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9 - Now RAW DATA Edit
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 01:03:53 +1300
Ag wrote
> With the E-1, you can adjust the E-1's contrast to flatten it
> out and use the flashing highlights to control how much or any
> of the scene to blow out.
        Yes, I know about this and use it a lot especially when using the Zuiko
copy B&W prints where there is often a surprising amount of detail hidden in
what
seem like blow-out or very black areas.

> I don't think many people are aware of this, but the E-1 has a
> built-in RAW converter!  Go ahead and shoot RAW and then during
> Review you can make adjustments to the camera, like
> white-balance, exposure compensation, contrast, sharpness and
> saturation and then save it as a JPEG or TIFF.  This function is
> called "RAW DATA EDIT" and it presents an awesome opportunity
> for those who would like the flexibility of RAW, but need to
> handle JPEGs for various reasons.
>
> To use this function, change your camera settings to reflect how
> you want the final images to be--including your desired JPEG
> mode. Go into play mode, zoom out to show at least four images
> and on each desired image press the OK button. This will put a
> red border around those images. Now go into the Menu, down-arrow
> once to the play menu and select RAW DATA EDIT. There's another
> way of going about this too, you might want to spend a few
> minutes reading the manual to gain operational insight.

Many thanks for this; I've seen the entry in the menu but not played around
with it.

Also, thanks to Chuck for supplying a replacement Digest when mine got zapped /
went missing.

I just might have got out of bed the wrong side when I started replying to this
thread.

Brian