[OM] Re: DNG issues with E-1 files

Subject: [OM] Re: DNG issues with E-1 files
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 16:17:15 +0100
>Chris wrote:
>> That is disturbing information.  I had trusted that DNG were
> > "untouched" files to all intents and purposes.

I did not encounter this issue. I have run some tests using either raw files
(.orf files from my E-1) or DNG files made from these raw files (in no case
embedding the original raw file), and converting them with Iridient Raw
Developer. I then opened the resulting TIFF files in Photoshop, and placed the
one converted from DNG as a layer over the one converted from ORF (am I being
clear?;-)), and set the blend mode as "Difference". The resulting picture was
pure black, provided I had used the "Preserve Raw Image" setting in DNG
Converter.

However, if I had  used the "Convert to Linear Image" setting, there were some
slight differences (i.e., the picture in Photoshop was not pure black, with RGB
values of 2 or 3 for instance).

Thus, it seems that if I use the "Preserve Raw Image" setting in DNG Converter,
Raw Developer converts the DNG files exactly as it would the original ORF files.

Bernard