[OM] Re: [photo] rust.

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] rust.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 15:42:14 -0800
Patrick Moore wrote:
> * On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 03:02:12PM -0800, Timpe, Jim said:
>
>> Wow.  This is unaltered for color?

I"m not sure how that is a meaningful question for a scanned photo,
especially one done by an automated system. The color is what the
scanner created from the potential on the film.

A supermarket scanning service is going to do what consumer print
services do, up contrast and saturation and let the ends go.

With slide film, one may compare the scan with the slide. With a
negative film like Superia, there is nothing to compare it to. The only
ways one can meaningfully answer that question would be:

1. I didn't alter whatever the scanner system did, which says nothing
about the color of the original subject.

2. It was scanned using an icc profile and I didn't alter the color
after that. In that case, one may assume the colors of the image, seen
on a calibrated monitor, are pretty close to the original.

End rant.

Moose